You’ll need to do this through an internet browser on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android — it can’t be done through the desktop or mobile apps.
1. Open your preferred browser and go to https://www.spotify.com/us/. If you aren’t already signed in, sign in by selecting “Log In” at the top-right.
2. Once you’ve logged in, click the Profile icon in the top-right corner — it looks like a silhouette of someone’s head and shoulders — and select “Account” in the menu that appears.
3. Scroll down until you find the submenu labeled “Your Plan” — this is where you can upgrade your Spotify plan or change your payment information. There, click “Update” to change your payment method, or click “Change Plan” to change your payment plan.
4. If you click “Change Plan,” you’ll be brought to a page that explains all the different Spotify payment plans. At the bottom, you can click “Cancel Premium” to go back to free, ad-supported streaming. Otherwise, click “Select” next to the new plan that you want.
5. You’ll be asked to confirm that you really want to switch. If you apply for the Student plan, you’ll also need to provide your university’s name and email.
Once you do so, your payment plan will change. On your next billing day, you’ll be charged for the new amount.