- 9 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons boiling water, or more if needed
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1 (.68 oz. tube) black decorating gel
- 12 blue candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 4 marshmallows
- 3 dark-colored fruit leather
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or more as needed
- 3 tablespoons silver dragees decorating a candy
- 24 sunflower seeds
- Prep: 30m
- Cook: 10m
- Ready In: 2h 10m
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line cups with paper liners.
- Sift cocoa powder into a large bowl and add 5 tablespoons boiling water. Stir into a thick paste, adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if needed. Add 3/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, until batter is smooth.
- Mix flour and baking powder in a bowl and stir into the batter until well combined. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 to the top using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick comes out clean, 10 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool in muffin tin for a few minutes; transfer to wire rack and cool completely about 1 hour.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter together in a bowl until creamy. Mix in vanilla extract. Stir in 1 cup confectioners’ sugar gradually until frosting is smooth. Mix in green food coloring.
- Frost each cupcake with a thin layer of green frosting and refrigerate for 30 minutes to make decorating easier. Frost with a second thin layer of green frosting.
- Draw a small dot with the black decorating gel on each candy-coated milk chocolate piece for the pupil. Cut marshmallows into 4 slices with a sharp knife and stick 1 blue pupil in the center of each marshmallow piece.
- Cut fruit leather into crescent shapes or semi-circles for the mouths using small sharp scissors.
- Mix 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar with lemon juice in a bowl to make icing. Glue silver dragees onto the fruit leather mouths using a toothpick dipped in icing.
- Assemble cyclops by placing a mouth and one marshmallow eye onto each cupcake. Stick 2 sunflower seeds on top of the cupcake for the horns.
Per Serving: 425 calories; 25.2 g fat; 48.2 g carbohydrates; 5.3 g protein; 102 mg cholesterol; 276 mg sodium.